Inmagic® Genie Version 3.30 README
Copyright © 2004-2009 Inmagic, Inc. All rights reserved.
About Inmagic® Genie
What's New in this Version?
Additional Documentation and Help Resources
Inmagic® Genie is a Web-based integrated library system (ILS) designed to meet the expanding needs of information centers that must manage and provide effective access to both traditional and non-traditional library materials. It is well-suited to both single-site libraries, and multi-site libraries that want a single catalog covering multiple collections.
Browser: Minimum supported screen resolution of 1024 X 768.
- PC: Microsoft Internet Explorer
v6+ (v7 recommended) , Firefox v2+ for OPAC users only (v3 recommended)
- Supported operating systems: Windows Server 2008 SP1 (DB/Text version only), Windows 2003 Server SP2, Windows XP PRO SP2+
- for DB/Text: Inmagic® DB/Text® WebPublisher PRO 11.0 or later
- for Content Server: Inmagic Content Server v9.0 SP1 or later, v11.0 or later recommended (both CS/WebPublisher PRO and CS/TextWorks)
Supported Databases: MS SQL Server 2000 SP4, MS SQL Server 2005 (SP2 or later recommended), MS SQL Server 2000 Desktop Edition (MSDE) SP3a+, SQL Server Express Edition
- Application/Web Server Requirements: Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS), Microsoft .NET Framework v3.5 SP1, E-mail server (optional)
Each new and enhanced feature is discussed briefly here. The applicable Inmagic Software Feature Request number follows each item listed. For more information
on a feature, see the Inmagic Genie Technical Notes. The installation notes PDF includes instructions for implementing these features for customers upgrading from a previous version.
The following issues are addressed by this version. The applicable
Inmagic Software Problem Report (SPR) number follows each item listed.
- "Print Routing List on Label" no longer truncates long "Date of issue" field contents.  *
- Edit pages: Addressed various issues with Next/Prev buttons. [6432, 6443, 6575]
- For the Content Server version, the backup file sets no longer include extra SQL logins, and the empty textbases have empty validation lists for most fields (e.g., CatSubjects) [2823, 6512]
Note: For users upgrading from a previous version, the items followed by an asterisk (*) require copying a fix from the non-My version of the .CONFIG file to the corresponding MyXXXX.CONFIG file. For more information, see the Inmagic® Genie 3.30 Installation Notes.
This version has the following known issues, which will be addressed in a future
service pack or version. The applicable Inmagic Software Problem Report (SPR) number
follows each item listed.
For multilingual sites, WebPublisher PRO error messages returned on Edit and Full Display
pages are always in English; they do not use the specified language. 
InmagicBrowse: Firefox initially shows extended characters in field-name drop-down
lists as 2-byte characters; navigating away from the query screen corrects the problem
for the rest of the browser session. 
DB/Text WebPublisher Issues
The following issues apply only if you're using DB/TextWorks textbases with Genie.
Below is a list of the documentation and help resources. You received electronic
copies of the documentation set when you installed the software. You will find them
in the Documentation subfolder of the install folder.
If you upgraded WebPublisher PRO 10.0 to 11.0, the .IWX mapping in IIS
may be incorrect. The symptom is seeing the following message when you attempt to
log in to Genie: "Login verification failure: The request failed with HTTP
status 403: Forbidden." To fix the .IWX mapping, follow the steps below.
- Open the Internet Information Services Manager.
- Right-click on the dbtw-wpd virtual directory and choose Properties.
- On the Virtual Directory tab of the Properties dialog box, click the Configuration button in the
- Locate and select the .iwx extension in the list.
- Click the Edit button.
- Select the "All verbs" option button, and check the "Script engine" check box.
- Click OK three times.
Note: The .IWX mapping also appears on other virtual directories, but the only one you need to
correct is the one for the dbtw-wpd virtual directory. If you correct the .IWX mapping for
the Default Web Site, you may also inadvertently reset the .NET version for the InmagicBrowse
and InmagicGenie virtual directories.
Help: Several topics refer to the Content Server product names (for example, CS/Importer) instead of the DB/Text equivalent. The version information says "3.00"; the features implemented in version 3.10 were to enhance the ability to customize Genie and thus do not affect the out-of-the-box experience.
- Installation Notes. The document InmagicGenieInstallNotes.pdf describes how to install the application.
- Technical Notes. InmagicGenieTechnicalNotes.pdf describes how to configure Genie screens, menus, etc.
- Security Notes. InmagicGenieSecurityNotes.pdf describes how to manage security, login, and password information in Genie.
- Online Help. The online help covers the Genie Web application and some administrative tasks. The help documentation is always available within Genie by choosing Other>Help Topics from the menu.